Thursday, December 16, 2010

Milestone: Finding out Baby is a Girl

The original plan was to find out the sex of baby around week 20. Then after talking with people who had not found out whether their baby was a boy or a girl it seemed too amazing to wait until birth to find out. I tried convincing Chad that we shouldn't find out but he really wanted to and everyone else (and I mean everyone!) wanted to know, so it was too hard to convince him to change his mind.

So I came up with a plan. At first I was thinking that he could find out and that I wouldn't. I have heard that this has actually worked before, where the woman never found out the whole pregnancy. I knew that with my family and friends knowing I would find out somehow and I DID NOT want to find out from someone other than Chad. So I told Chad that it was his job to find out if baby was a boy or a girl and it was his job to tell me in a special way. I gave him some suggestions but left it up to him.

On Monday after the ultrasound and the regular checkup Chad was texting and calling people like crazy... and NO ONE called me. I thought that was strange. After sitting in crazy wet traffic on the freeway for forever we made it to Karlie's last basketball game. Afterward we all said our goodbyes and Chad insisted we go to his parents' house because he "had to pick up some stupid thing for work". I didn't want to go over there because I was sleepy and had had a weird, rough, sad day. But we went.

We drove up and there were a lot of cars in the driveway and around the cul-de-sac. I looked at Chad and he grinned. We opened the door and lots and lots of family and friends were there. I figured everyone already knew the sex of baby but upon closer inspection at the decorations, they were pink AND blue... so still no one knew but Chad.

Once everyone was there and had said their hellos Chad ran upstairs with two balloons, an "It's a Boy!" and an "It's a Girl!" balloon.
We waited in anticipation to see which balloon would go flying in the air... and...
"It's a Girl!" was released!! I was holding my youngest nephew Ben in my arms (all I wanted all day was just to hold a baby and relax) and I leaned into him and started bawling. I had strong feelings baby was a girl because I knew that there was no possible way that daddy, grandpa, great-grandpa, and our Jamaican brother could predict a girl and she wouldn't be a girl.

So there you have it... WE'RE HAVING A BABY GIRL!
Happy parents-to-be.

Happy auntie.

Happy grandparents.

No comments:

Post a Comment