Friday, November 12, 2010

Chai Tea?

So my poor self got on WIC (thank you federal government) and on this program they want me to consume A LOT of dairy. Considering that I have not drank milk for about six years I have no interest whatsoever in drinking milk. I have accepted cheese and yogurt into my diet but milk I'm having a very rough time dealing with. I could request soy but I actually have sensitivities to soy. And if I really want almond and rice milk I can buy it I guess.

So anyway, as I attempt to introduce nasty, stinky cow milk back into my diet (this is so unnatural) I am thinking of creative ways to do so. I searched through this tiny house of mine for my espresso machine and I found it, so that means I can start steaming milk and putting things in it. I bought organic chocolate sauce, vanilla and peppermint syrups, and chai tea mix (organic as well). Since chai has black tea in it, and since black tea has caffeine in it, I decided to look it up. Of course the easiest things to find online about pregnancy are everyone and his mother's opinions, so I found this information rather difficult to find, but this is the most promising information I have found thus far:


Pregnancy & Breast-Feeding


If you are pregnant or breast-feeding, black tea in small amounts is probably not harmful. Do not drink more than 2 cups a day of black tea. This amount of tea provides about 200 mg of caffeine. Consuming more than this amount during pregnancy has been linked to an increased risk of miscarriage and other negative effects, including symptoms of caffeine withdrawal in newborns and lower birth weight.

If you are breast-feeding, drinking more than 2 cups a day of black tea might cause your baby to become more irritable and have more bowel movements.

From MedlinePlus

Chai Tea & Pregnancy

Chai tea, also known as masala chai, is a fragrant, spicy beverage originating on the Indian subcontinent. This delicious concoction includes black tea with a combination of herbal seasonings. When consumed in moderation, chai tea and similar drinks are considered to be safe for use during pregnancy. Consult your obstetrician or midwife with any questions regarding the use of caffeine or herbal teas during any stage of gestation.

No comments:

Post a Comment