Saturday, October 23, 2010

Milestone: Hearing the Baby's Heartbeat

On Wednesday, October 20th (at 12 weeks) I finally went to my first prenatal appointment! I was in the middle of an insurance fiasco for a good month. Of course right when I found out I was pregnant I also found out that I had been kicked off my mom's insurance; I was kicked off at the end of August (the month in which I got married). Right around this point I also found out that we had missed the 30-day period after we got married to get on Chad's insurance through his work (we finally found out come day 35 that we were five days too late).

I had two options at this point, I could pay too much money than I could afford to get on UW's insurance for the quarter, or I could try and get on with the state. As my busy life started up again one of my best friends, Becky, called around for me and pretended to be me to see if I could qualify and sure enough, I am poor enough to be covered by the state! I called as soon as I could to schedule an appointment. I chose to be seen by a nurse midwife and I got an appointment right away because they like to see pregnant women around weeks eight to ten, and since I was at 12 weeks they got me in right away!

The appointment went well. My midwife asked the routine questions to find out whether or not I was healthy and yes, I am healthy and "normal" according to where I should be. My uterus is in its proper place and of proper size, and then she pulled out the heartbeat detector! Right away we heard a very strong and very fast heartbeat. I looked at Chad and his eyes got huge! He lit up and a huge grin grew on his face. I wanted to cry but held back the tears because for some reason I felt that I shouldn't cry. As the baby moved around we would lose the heartbeat but then hear it again. Chad started laughing; he didn't know how else to react. It really was amazing!

I called my mom first thing when we left and she instantly started crying, so of course I did too. This pregnancy finally feels real and it feels wonderful. This morning when I woke up I put my hand to my belly to feel around for my baby's heartbeat, and sure enough, there it was. I had Chad feel for it and he could feel it, too. I have two hearts beating in my body right now; it is truly amazing. I am excited for my baby's growth and my pregnancy progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment